Monday, April 6, 2009

Introduction

I was born into a life of privilege, the son of columnist and What’s My Line panelist Dorothy Kilgallen and producer Richard Kollmar. As a child of celebrities, I grew up in an environment surrounded by influences and events vastly different from many, probably most other people. Simply put, we were rich people, living a dream life on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.

But boy, did that change. As the years unfolded, my life took many unexpected courses, some of them wonder filled, some harrowing, many of which I still look back at in awe. My mom died, I found myself thrown out of my house by age sixteen and, the rest, well, as they say – life happens.

Let me, by way of example, tickle your curiosity:

Over the years, I had the amazing opportunities to meet with President John F. Kennedy, his son John Jr., John Lennon and John Belushi.

My first sexual stirrings occurred during an evening encounter with movie star Jane Mansfield.

On my way home from school one day, I was abducted by a huge Hispanic man, who, placing a knife to my throat, told me of his plans to take me home with him.

I was the 1975 World Individual Freestyle Frisbee Champion.

I was brutally attacked by several Puerto Rican gang members in San Juan, during which I stabbed a man nearly to death while trying to protect a wounded friend of mine.

See what I mean? I know. Wacky. The strange thing is, although certainly some of it happened as a direct result of the life I was born into, most of it didn’t. Go figure.

Some of these stories will make their way onto this page, others will not.

My purpose in creating this blog, is to post my memories of some of these events. I’m fascinated with the blog phenomenon, as well as the oddly cathartic experience that writing this stuff down has been. I am also curious to see the feedback, should anyone read these posts and care to. I figure I’ll just throw some of this stuff at the wall, and see what people do with it. Beyond being a practice field and a line on which to hang my laundry (dirty though some of it is), I’d like to benefit from the eyes and thoughts of those who come across it. So here it is, have at it.

And please, tell me what you think.

9 comments:

  1. kerry. its alex baker. obviously you know who i am lol. next time you have the chance i would like to have a conversation with you about a topic in which you stated in the third sentence of the second paragraph and the coincedental end of one of my long deceased family members. the information i have could either bore you or blow your freaking mind. you may already know what im talking about. im sure your daughter has told you by now. but still, any time you would be willing to talk please contact me at alexbaker13@yahoo.com thanks man. our the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to see that you haven't kept up with blogging. It's been a long journey getting here. I first started watching What's My Line videos on YouTube and then reading about each panelist. Although I found a lot interesting about Francis and Cerf your mother was by far the most interesting. As a result of my continued reading about your mother, I came upon your blog mentioned somewhere??? I know that it's hard to maintain a blog. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So where are Jill and your older brother now? I too have watched many What's My Line videos and have enjoyed learning of your mom and family through this means. I'm a few years younger than you Kerry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about those horrible things in your past but did you ever meet your biological father Johnnie Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m fascinated by all of it. I’m just coming across this. I remember your mother well from What’s My Line and her suspicious death. I still believe what many people believe! She knew too much! I couldn’t believe that the man who raised you as his son could do what he did. Did your biological father step in to help you? Was he still living when this happened?
    It was a lot for me take in but very interested. I’m just not reading all this in September 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meant to say “now reading”. Email me belvinsweatt72@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I would like to meet you...I was at Cal Neva with my family when I was six sitting at the end of the stage when Johnny Ray was singing ..he came down and kissed me but an another lady was waiting for him to kiss her but instead he came down and kissed me...my uncle was playing the piano in the band that nite.. I'm in San Francisco and am an artist.. please txt or call me ... janetellendarcey@gmail.com. Or 4158239350. It would be nice for to go to coffee or talk . Please call.. Sincerely janetellendarcey@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kerry, have you ever considered DNA?

    ReplyDelete